Friday, March 12, 2010

The Land of Colin

We just got back from the park and Colin has finally, blessedly, fallen into a nap. The nap remains a distant memory around here, but every few days he will just be so exhausted that he falls asleep despite his best efforts to avoid it. I love the days that he naps at a normal time because the evenings are so much calmer! These moments are rare, but welcome! :-)

The weather remains beautiful but VERY windy...Colin and I picked up Wendy's and headed over to the park to eat and play. I was not paying much attention to the winds and probably should have skipped trying to eat outside. Everything was blowing all over the place! We were the only ones there, however, so Colin was able to turn the whole playground into his own make believe world. Imaginary play is his latest new move and it is the MOST adorable thing you have ever seen. He found a baby push toy that had been left at the park and immediately turned it into a car that needed fixing. He announced that it needed a new battery and turned the car over to work on it. He then told me that he had to go to the battery store and I was the salesman. He asked for a battery, which I "gave" him and he then said, "Thanks, Battery Store Mommy!". HILARIOUS! He then switched gears and gave me a spot to sit and then began asking what I would like to buy. I begin asking for items, which he runs to get in various "storerooms" that I am not allowed in. I know this because he says, "Mommy, stay there! Don't come in my storeroom!". ;-) This lasted for some time before he switched gears one final time and turned into a chef. He asked what I would like for him to cook for me and then "cooked" whatever I requested. This includes having to disappear into other rooms to find "ingredients". He also very seriously informed me that I should not touch the pans because "they are very very hot, Mommy!". So, basically the entire playground visit was not really a playground visit at all. It was more of a shopping/eating expedition in the land of Colin. Once back in the car, he announced, "That was so much fun, Mommy! Now we have to go home and get warm!" :-)

There was a time in the not-so-distant past that I firmly believed that I should have two children exactly two years apart. I don't exactly know where this idea stemmed from, except for my own notion that my two children would be close enough in age to be best friends. You know...like all siblings are in the perfect world that is your imagination. :-) The time came and went for me to accomplish my goal and we were just not ready yet. As time has ticked by, I have come to the realization that I am blessed with this precious time with Colin. I am never EVER going to forget these brief years that I have spent focusing all my attention on my first born. I love that we are buddies who go out on our own little adventures everyday. I love giving him my undivided attention and that he thrives under it. He is going to be a wonderful big brother one day and will be old enough to be my little helper. I know that my second child, whenever God blesses us with him, will not have the same limitless time with me, but he will have the greatest gift in the world and that is Colin. And my sweet little first born angel will always have the relationship with me that only the eldest can know. I think that we are a very lucky family, indeed! (and no...I am not pregnant!) :-)

1 comments:

TanyatheMom said...

I LOVE their imaginations...it's a whole new world of fun and excitement. Love the pics as always!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio