Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Latest From Colin

Colin is so...well...Colin. I find him to be hysterical and brilliant and pretty adorable. Have I mentioned that before? ;-) He is such an interesting boy. We have been going to Occupational Therapy (OT) every Friday for several weeks now and he LOVES IT. On our second session, he struck up a conversation with one of the therapists who was waiting for her meal at the microwave. He asked her what her job there was, if she played with kids like Miss Cheryl, if she was a mom, if she liked knock knock jokes and then proceeded to ask her if they had recently vacuumed the floor. It was so funny and she was, of course, immediately in love with him. Cheryl (our OT) ended up telling me yesterday that everyone in the office thinks that Colin is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nobody wins people over like Colin. He has had a lot of awesome things to say lately...in fact, Miss Cheryl spends most of the therapy hour looking up at me over Colin's head with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. He does say some pretty over the top things for a 3 year old, but I am used to it and really have nothing to compare it against. She looked shocked so many times on Friday that I actually started giggling. Here are a couple of his most recent additions to the conversation. I want to write them down so that I don't forget what a funny little 3 year old he was!

"Mommy, teachers are community helpers. They are there to help you learn. I already know everything, so I don't need to go back to school."

*he asked me yesterday if I knew where his pieces of chalk went. I told him that I didn't know and his response was, "Well, they didn't just get up and walk off!" Now, where on earth did he learn that?!

He really does make us laugh constantly these days. We had a moment last night that was just too sweet, and a bit sad...but mostly super cute! He asked to watch "Angelina Ballerina" after seeing several commercials for it on various DVD's that we have. We stream Netflix onto our television and I saw they had it. I turned it on for him last night and he LOVED IT. However, at the end of the hour, he burst into tears. Real tears, heavy crying, chest heaving and shuddering...the whole nine yards. We were immediately hovering over him asking what happened - I assumed he had hurt himself! He finally managed to choke out, "I want to dance ballet, but I am a boy! Boys can't dance ballet, but I really want to! I am not a girl, so I can't dance ballet!" ...all the while crying his little eyes out. I assured him over and over that if he wanted to take ballet, then he could absolutely do it! We had a very long conversation about how boys can be great dancers and that he would win over every little girl on earth if he danced. Oh my goodness, he was so upset! I had to promise him over and over again that if he wanted to take a dance class that he absolutely could and that I would go with him. It was not exactly a conversation that I pictured myself having, but I am totally okay with that. I have a lot of conversations with Colin that I never imagined I would. ;-)

In related news, after some research today, a big dance studio here offers boys only classes! How cool is that!? Things have totally changed since I was little! The boys program starts at age 5, so if Colin does decide that he wants to take classes this fall, he will still be mixed in with the girls (which I think he will love, anyway), but after that, he would have his own special program. Apparently, it is very popular and there are lots of boys in the program! Regardless, as far as I am concerned, Colin can do whatever makes him happy. Besides, can you imagine how many girls would swoon over a boy who can dance?! And why can I only picture Kent from last season of SYTYCD? :-)

5 comments:

TanyatheMom said...

I'd vote for him on SYTYCD! He is quite the performer :-). Hannah will start dance in the Fall so maybe they could do a duet on the side or something ;-).

elegraph said...

Oh, goodness. Just too precious!! (I'm w/ Tanya - I don't watch SYTYCD, but I'd totally tune in for Mr. Colin!!

The Murrays said...

I love Colin Shaffer. LOVE HIM.

Unknown said...

I just keeping thinking of Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. Swoon! :)

Eren said...

I too love Colin Shaffer. SUCH a sweet boy! And I think he is so blessed to have you as his mommy!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio