Friday, July 15, 2011

Potatoes = Joy

I rocked dinner tonight. Engagement chicken and the best scalloped potatoes ever. Oh my lord have mercy, they were good. Colin Shaffer, current president of "The Coalition to Avoid All Food that Our Mothers Slave Over", ate every bite off his plate. It was that good. I also rocked more calories than I should eat in a whole day, but let's focus on the positive. I have three words for you: jarlsberg, asiago and mozzarella. Oh, yes.

Now that I have gloated about the glory of creamy goodness, let's talk Colin. We are staring down a big weekend for this kiddo! He is going to his first ever "school friend" birthday party tomorrow morning, my parents are coming in town, then his family birthday celebration is on Sunday, complete with everyone from Tyler! Colin is beside himself over it. He is officially four years old next Wednesday. Prepare yourself for the gigantic "how is my baby four years old" post coming soon. His best buddies Ryan, Hayden and Jack all have their birthday within a couple of weeks of Colin's, so we decided to throw them all a huge pirate themed bash on the beach in Galveston. We are taking a family trip there in early August with nine other families....all of our best friends! Colin has been talking about his pirate party since March, so the countdown is totally on. We decided to throw a small family party for him at home on Sunday to celebrate here and he is so excited! We ordered a space cake per his specific instructions (Mom, we have to save all the pirate stuff for the beach!) and a ton of balloons from Party City. Today we got burgers, hot dogs and chicken for the grill and the whole thing is shaping up to be a blast. After we eat and open presents, we are going to take Colin and his cousins to one of the best pools ever. It should be a great day!

For posterity's sake, it should also be noted that Colin went off on a new tangent today that came out of nowhere. He began asking me what people did before clothes were invented. He asked me who discovered the material to make clothes. He asked me what people wore before material was invented. He asked me what children did before television was invented. He spent a long time today playing completely naked in order to "pretend that I am a kid before clothes were invented". He always blows me away. I have absolutely no idea where this line of questioning came from...I can't recall a book or recent show that would have initiated it. I do know that he is a brilliant boy and I am proud to call him mine!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio