Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Making Memories


I am a complete sap. Always have been and always will be. I get this trait from my father, who is the king of sappiness. My Daddy and I are cut from the same cloth, physically as well as mentally. I operate in a constant state of strange awareness...knowing that whatever moment happens to be unfolding at that time needs to be memorized and filed away in the "precious memory" area of my brain less the details become foggy, or (gasp!) I forget it. I have been especially hyper-sensitive since I started staying home with Colin. First of all, I am well aware that the young moments of Colin's life are fleeting and I am forever trying to commit to memory the sights and sounds of him being a little one. I also know that the days of being at home, one-on-one with Colin, are numbered as well. Colin is going to get older, go to kindergarten, and hopefully sooner than that, get a sibling. Right now I am not pregnant and not about to be and Colin and I are a little team that spends our days together. My nature dictates that at least once a day I think inwardly about how much I love this and how much I love Colin and how much I am going to miss these days. It is amazing that functioning in such a constant state of sappiness is even possible.


Which brings me, ultimately, to this morning. Colin has been sleeping in until almost 7:30am for a couple of weeks now. (yes, utterly blissful and I totally deserve it, thanks for asking!) Today he woke up in an even better mood than normal. We started our morning routine with a warm bottle of milk and then breakfast. He adores bananas and ate a whole one while barely touching his pancake. I cleaned his hands and sat him on the floor to clean up his chair and he began running around the house, picking up various toys and running them back to me, chubby arms outstretched, and squealing with glee. I have started doing the exaggerated "Thank YOU!" when he brings me things, so he brings me items on top of items and then laughs and laughs at my "Thank YOU!". His pajamas don't match this morning. His room gets frosty cold at night and he won't keep his blanket around him, so last night I put on his long Aggie pants and a short sleeve "alien" covered sleep shirt. As he is running around bringing me things, he starts talking to me, stringing all of his little sounds together in "Colin Speak" and babbling away. So here we are, Colin running around with his meaty little feet slapping the floor while he squeals and squawks and laughs, holding 5 stuffed animals and his orange comb, wearing non matching pj's with his curls sticking up all over the place from bed head, making me love him even more than yesterday. I ran to the blog to write it down, attempt to explain how much I love him, find words to create a picture of the moment in my head, all so that twenty years from now I can remember what it felt like to love a wacky little peanut more than life itself.


Now that I think about it, I might have even my father beat on the sappiness. :-)

2 comments:

Melibelle said...

Chalna.... I vow as your good friend to make sure history repeats itself and Colin's firend's only know the crazy lady with the camera stuck to ehr face as Colin's mom and not know what half your face looks like! :)

Sounds like a fab morning!

Anonymous said...

Boy, you really ARE a sap! But that post was so sweet, and I bet that will be fun to go back and read later when he is a big surly teenager :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio