Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ducks and Cool Weather





The high today was 75. As in 75 degrees total. I am in absolute heaven! I took Colin on a walk in his blue car this morning and it was actually cool outside. Oh, the bliss!! It is very rare to enjoy a front like this in early September in Texas, so we soaked up our random day of lovely temps. It was overcast and very windy from the leftover hurricane stuff finally passing over. Did I mention that I love it? It will probably be 100 degrees again tomorrow. But today was GREAT!

We decided to make the most of the weather and take Colin to feed the ducks in our neighborhood after dinner. We have a duck pond down the street from the house and the last time we took Colin he was too small to really notice the ducks. Today, however, was a totally different story. First of all, these ducks are savvy. They started heading up to us the very second we made our appearance. They got out of the water and walked all the way up to the sidewalk! Colin was in awe. He waved and stomped and called out to them. He held his little hands out the way he does to Enzo. I was taking pictures of this and saw one of the ducks actually walking up to Colin. Since Colin was not holding bread, I was not worried and kept shooting the pictures. The duck proceeded to nip at Colin's fingers! I guess he thought Colin had bread since he was holding his hand out. The little man was not pleased, but he was more shocked than anything. So was I! That last picture above was taken as the incident happened. Colin shook it right off and kept enjoying the scene. I took over for Jer and fed them...they actually took the bread out of my hands and I could feel their little beaks. It was so cute and did not hurt at all. I have fed ducks a lot in my lifetime, but I have never been able to hand feed them and pet them like I did today. They were adorable! It was a great time.

2 comments:

Melibelle said...

ahhhhhh I love it too! We had all our windows opened tonight it was GREATNESS!!! And I know the hot will come back but you know what this peak of fall means... HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL BABY!

Christie da Silva said...

Going to see the "Quack-Quacks" at our local park is always a crowd pleaser with our family too. Hope your next visit is without incident. :)
Now, little Colin needs some quack-quacks in his bath!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio