Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Lord of Sleep

It should be noted that it is 4:47 and Colin is still asleep. His afternoon nap is running nice and late because he fought it for an hour. It actually came down to me rocking him for 15 minutes just to calm him down because he was screaming bloody murder. This is the second day in a row that his afternoon nap has been a mess and this has caused me to start thinking about this nap business yet again. He has officially been asleep since 3:35, so I know he needed the sleep. Colin is one of those little ones who needs lots of sleep and I feel like his rest is my mission in life sometimes. Yesterday, I gave up the fight and it resulted in a cranky and overall unhappy baby. Today I stuck with it, including going back in to rock him and settle him instead of letting him just throw away the nap. In about 5 minutes I am going to be forced to open his door and start making noise so that he will get up. He should have been asleep at 2pm, but at least he got a nap in. I hope this late nap does not totally destroy bedtime. It is a slippery slope, I tell you! I am the lord of sleep. :-)

On another note, we have news to celebrate in my family! My sister Meredith got engaged over the weekend!! We all adore her fiance and are so excited. He fits in with our family like he has always been around, and that is saying a lot since we are a bunch of nuts. :-) I am thrilled to get a new brother-in-law! Congratulations, Mert and Cory!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds exactly how Gabby was, and when she did this it was when she started outgrowing 2 naps. She either had a long morning nap and a messed up afternoon nap, or she would lie in her crib for an hour in the morning just playing, meaning her afternoon nap had to be moved right after lunch, or she would take both naps but they would end at like 45 minutes. We went from having a perfect 2-nap-a-day schedule to totally unpredictable sleep patterns.

It ended up being kind of crazy for about 1 or 2 months, and by the end of the weird transitional period, she ended up taking 1 BIG nap from noon until 3:00, and then we also put her to bed 30 minutes earlier until she stopped seeming sleepy from just taking one nap.

She has officially been taking 1 nap a day since about 13 months (which I think is a little on the early side...most are around 18 months) but even now there are some days when she takes two. Even with just one, she is still getting about 14 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period so she is getting about the same amount of total sleep as she was with 2 naps.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio