Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Day with a Twist

The STRANGEST thing ever happened to me today. I mean really REALLY strange. Today had not been a very good day in general. Jer is out of town and I have been on my own all week. Colin is not himself at all right now. He used to wake up by smiling into the video monitor and babbling happily. For the past several days, every single time he wakes up, no matter what, he is screaming bloody murder. I have done everything that I can for him, and it makes me really sad that he is so unhappy right now. Colin had woken up from his afternoon nap upset, so I decided that he needed some fresh air and we headed out for a spin. I had not eaten all day, so on a whim I pulled into the Whataburger drive thru. I was third in line behind a huge truck and a minivan. The truck was at the window for awhile (Whataburger is a notoriously slow drive thru) and finally he left. I then saw the woman in front of me start a discussion with the girl at the window and then she left. I pulled up and the girl handed me my food and I handed her my debit card. She said, "No...your meal has already been paid for". WHAT? I looked at her like she had two heads and asked her what she was talking about. She said, "The big truck that was ahead of you...he paid for all three of you in line behind him.". I still stood there dumbfounded. He just randomly paid for all the food behind him in line?!? I asked again if she was serious and if he gave an explanation. She said he would not elaborate and just asked to pay for everyone behind him in line. Never in my life has something like that happened before. I pulled away with my free meal and have been left wondering about that man for the rest of the afternoon. It was such a random thing to have happen...I almost did not even turn in there because we are trying not to eat out very often to save money. I was just so tired and hungry, so I turned in. And proceeded to get a free meal on a day when I was really in need of some kindness. It made me smile and perk up...I ate my meal there in the parking lot while telling Colin all about what happened. We then went for a cruise around the pet store to look at the bins of puppies and kittens. That made Colin perk up! :-) I can't seem to stop thinking about this random act of kindness. I feel like it is my turn now...kind of a pay it forward thing. I am going to give some thought to what I can do to give someone else a smile in the middle of a storm.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is very cool. I need someone to buy me some lunch, and perhaps a stiff drink too! :)

Paying it forward is a great idea.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio