Monday, June 16, 2008

On This Day In History




Exactly one year ago today was my wonderful baby shower. I only had one big shower and lots of my friends and family were there, including everyone from work. It was such a great time! I remember feeling very special and honored to have so many friends come to celebrate Colin. I was so excited for the shower to arrive...I was very pregnant at this point and the hot Texas summer was in full swing. I had moved into the uncomfortable stage and was so ready to meet the little man. The week of the shower brought a big scare for me and I remember feeling lucky to be there. That week I came down with a really bad cold that immediately went into my lungs. I had managed to be well for my entire pregnancy, but I went downhill fast when I came down with that cold. I developed a bad cough which I just could not kick and it got bad. On Thursday night, I coughed so hard that I was sure that I broke my water. I was beside myself...it was almost midnight and I got Jer up to take me to the hospital. Once we got there, we found out that my water was luckily still in tact, but I had coughed myself into steady contractions. I have never been so scared in my life. I was not ready yet!! I was hooked up to all the monitors and given an IV drug to stop the contractions and some kind of high powered cough syrup to shut me up! I laid in that bed for hours watching the contractions across the screen and listening to Colin's heartbeat filling up the room. The drug did it's job and I was finally allowed to go home at about 7:00am Friday morning with instructions to stay in bed. I stayed there until it was time to go to the shower on Saturday morning. I was so sick and in more pain than I have words for. Because I was so pregnant, when I would cough it would cause mind blowing pain in my abdomen and back...I remember feeling like knives were being poked into the top of my belly. I also had to keep from coughing at all costs to prevent labor, so I was walking around with a bag of cough drops and glasses of water. But I was NOT going to miss my shower! Looking back, I wish I had been able to put more energy into getting ready. I was really tired and I just put that brown t-shirt and cropped linen pants on. I had wanted to go shopping that week for a pretty shower outfit, but in the end I was too sick and I actually remember standing in my closet and grabbing that boring t-shirt just because it was soft. HA! Oh well. Even though I was sick, it was a beautiful shower and I managed to have a great time. I went straight home to bed afterwards and my family opened all of my cool new baby presents for me to play with. I recall standing in my living room when we got home surrounded with all of my wonderful loot and being just beside myself with excitement. I was finally starting to feel ready! I had all my stuff! :-) And sweet baby Colin was born almost exactly one month later!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio