Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Weekend







We are home safe tonight and Colin is out like a light! He had quite a weekend...that was easily the most running around that little guy has ever done! When we are at home on a daily basis, I stick to a rigid schedule to make sure that we are home for Colin's naps. I found this is the best way to keep him happy and rested, so I am strict with myself about it. We made an exception this weekend being out of town and trying to hang out with the family and see my mom in the hospital. Colin was a trooper and we all had a great time. Today is Jer's first Father's Day and although we were traveling home today, I think it was still a success. Colin (with some help from Mama) gave Daddy a Garmin GPS and he is currently playing with it. Jer loves gadgets and I think we succeeding in making him happy! :-)
The first picture above is probably my favorite, not for quality, but for meaning. I will preface this by reminding everyone that we are huge dorks! We ate dinner on Friday night at Luby's, which is simply a cafeteria that is popular here in Texas. The story here is that there is a Luby's right down the street from my parents house. We started eating at that Luby's when my sisters were in high chairs and my parents can remember when we all ate there on the day it opened some 27 years ago. It was good home cooking kind of food and we ate there as a family literally all the time. My parents both worked once my sisters were in elementary school and we found ourselves eating at that Luby's at least three nights a week as a family. As we got older, we would all meet there in our separate cars...Mama and Daddy would come from work and I would come from after school dance practice after I picked up my sisters. Everyone knew our family and would greet us when we arrived. One really sweet lady always teased my dad about how many rolls he ate and she would already have them on a plate for him when we got to the end of the line. Needless to say, this place is a family tradition. We realized on Friday that it was Colin's very first Luby's trip, so we all flipped out and (of course!) had to take a picture. It is strange that I started eating there at 4 years old and there I was, eating there with my own son.
The next picture is Colin hanging out with Meredith's dog Annie at my parents house. Annie is much calmer than Enzo and actually let Colin love on her, which was great. The next two shots are of Colin and my nephew Jackson with Meredith. Colin fell in love with his cousin Jackson on this trip...he could not get enough of him! It was the sweetest thing that I have ever seen!! The last shot is of me and my sisters (and sons) at The Shed on Saturday night. That picture is actually taken in the little general store that is attached to the dining room. The Shed is another big family favorite and just around the corner from the blueberry farm. It was a great evening. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend, with the exception of my poor Mama having to be in the hospital!! We missed her a ton!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Luby's memories! I love that the Luby's is special to your family too...growing up, everytime my grandpa came into town he loved nothing more than to treat the whole family to dinner at Luby's. Getting to pick out our jello color at the beginning of the line was always so exciting. So we have some great Luby's memories too! Everytime we drive past the one near us I always say, hey we should eat at Luby's! And Dave think I am nuts. :)

Chalna said...

HA!! I LOVED picking out the jello, too! ;-) Since you lived just down the street from me, I am not surprised that ya'll were Luby's fans, too. You know, Jer does not get Luby's either...every single time I force him to eat there he reminds me that he thinks I am crazy! He and Dave can chat about that one. ;-)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio