Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Home and Raising Boys

One of my very best friends, Melissa, wrote a blog entry tonight that got me thinking about my home town. She wrote about how much she missed it and how funny it is that she spent her youth wanting to leave and her adulthood wanting to go back. I have a lot of those feelings myself and while the option of returning to our home town is not possible for me, I do still think of it as "home". She reminded me of this and I have now been analyzing what it is, exactly, about where I grew up that seems more like a "hometown" than where I live now.

Of course, at first glance, the reason that T-town seems like the perfect hometown is because...well...it IS my hometown! I know that immediately makes me biased to it, but I think it goes further than spending my entire childhood there. My home sits alone without being attached to a big city. It is not the suburb of anything and it is the kind of small town that is big enough to have all the nice amenities you need, but small enough to still feel cozy. We live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex now and while we live in a wonderful top rated suburb, things here are not the same. Regardless of living in a town with a population of only 38,000, we are a quick drive from huge metropolis areas. We are surrounded by so much, that I know my son will not think of our suburb as his hometown. When people ask him where he is from, I think he will probably say "Ft. Worth". There is nothing wrong with being from a big city, but I think that it was a lot of fun to grow up surrounded by a kind of idealistic reality where you felt like you knew everyone. I think Colin will probably end up being far more sophisticated than I was. :-)

Also on my mind tonight is, shockingly, the MTV Video Music Awards. They aired last weekend and this idiot so-called comedian spent almost the entire show making fun of a very young pop group called "The Jonas Brothers" who wear "promise rings". The boys have apparently made it known that they wear these rings in an effort to show that they are saving themselves until marriage. The host of the show made a running joke about the boys and talked constantly about "joyous unprotected sex" and how "there is nothing wrong with a little sex every now and then" and just a whole bunch of stuff to that effect. This really got me thinking about how hard it is going to be to raise Colin. I was not allowed to watch MTV when I was growing up and it made me so mad. I, of course, watched at friends houses and everywhere else I could. I never could understand, but it has hit me like a ton of bricks since I became a mother myself. How can I teach Colin that having sex is a huge responsibility that should wait until he is older when the practice of waiting is ridiculed so steadily in pop culture? Let me tell you, that whole broadcast made being a "good boy" into being a loser. I hope that I can instill good values in my son and I am going to work hard to do so, but I can certainly see how hard it will be with all that I am up against in society today. I know that is the job of parents and I am up for the challenge. It sure would be a lot easier, however, if we had a little more help from "the village". It is funny...I was watching 90210 tonight, which is a teen show marketed to teens, and the whole thing is about sex and drugs. In fact, in the opening scene of the first show, a teenage girl was doing something very indecent, shall we say, to a guy in his car at school. It makes me laugh that my whole world is now filtered through my "mom vision". I cringed and thought, yet again, "How will I explain that to Colin?". I have my work cut out for me, that is for sure. However, we had lots of stuff like that on TV when I was growing up, albeit not quite so extreme, and my parents managed to turn me into a pretty good girl, if I do say so myself. So all is not lost!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good post! I think about things like that a lot...how I will handle things with Gabby as she gets older. My sister and I were not sheltered AT ALL when we were growing up. My parents had high expectations for us, but were not rigid, and we were allowed a fair amount of freedom. They were also really open with us, talked to us about EVERYTHING, and we had good relationships with them. And still do. For the most part, both of us have made pretty good choices. We probably could have gotten away with a whole lot if we had wanted to, but we didn't feel the need to rebel or go crazy. It is really hard to pinpoint what it was that worked. Would another kid have taken advantage of their parents in the same situation and my parents just lucked out with two amazingly responsible and respectable daughters?? Hard to know!

Oh, and I too feel a great deal of nostagia towards our hometown! I hate that my parents don't live there anymore (although they are WAY happier) because I don't have much of a connection there anymore.

Melibelle said...

I know... I had on mom goggles at a comercial tonight and I'm only a step-mom!! The stuff on TV these days is crazy! I can't imagine having a baby in these times. I'm scared enough for the beautiful 13 year old in my life... how ever will she grow up?

Shannon said...

I agree with Dana. Until sophomore year, I went to a rigid, strict Catholic school...and all of us turned into hell-raisers. That tends to be the result of oppression.

My mom was very open with me too. She pounded in the idea of responsiblity. So, even though I wasn't a "good girl" in high school (or college or half of my 20s), I always took school seriously, I made good grades, never made a mistake that permanently messed up my life, etc.

I am want to be open with my kids, but I don't have any allusions to be their "friend" until they are out of college! :) Kids are going to experiment...it's part of growing up, but I want mine to be responsible enough to not do something that could change/end their life (drunk driving, unprotected sex, drug use, etc.)

As for T-town, I miss it sometimes too, but I always felt like a black sheep there. It's a nice place to visit though. I can't wait to take Kate to her first Rose Festival...especially the Queen's Tea. I remember that as a little girl (I thought I was meeting a REAL Queen!)...before I wised up to what it was really all about. :)

Chalna said...

Thanks girls...I am glad to know that I am not alone when I think about these things. I completely agree...I plan to talk freely and often with Colin and make sure he knows that I am there for him to come to with anything. I know that will make a huge difference in his life. Oh, and you are not JUST a step mother, Melissa. You are a GREAT step mother!!

Sometimes it blows me away that we are really all mothers now. It still feels like we should all be at a football game or something! :-)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio