Saturday, March 28, 2009

Twilight...movie version

I just finished the movie "Twilight". For those of you who do not share my intense fascination with these books, you can probably just skip this post. You know who you are. ;-)

Anyway, I have a LOT of thoughts about the movie. I thought that Edward and Bella were well chosen actors, especially Edward. This was a shock to me because the pictures I had seen floating around of the actor did not lead me to think he would fit the Edward in my head. However, I thought he was great. The scene where he pulls up in his car to save Bella in Port Angeles is when he won me over. He was delish in my opinion! I did not love the choices of the rest of the Cullen kids, at least so far. I think they all needed to be far more beautiful, especially Rosalie. I also pictured Alice much tinier and more adorable. Not that actual real life humans can measure up to the beautiful vampires in my head, but I digress. ;-)

I am well aware that movies simply cannot live up to books....there is just not enough time to cover everything. I thought it was a good movie, but it felt very much like a Cliff's Notes version of Twilight. It seemed to fly by, simply glossing over touching and stunningly written scenes that had created such vivid images in my mind. The book was also written from the mind of Bella, and it really took something away to watch the movie when you could not read her thoughts as you did in the book. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly see the rest of the movies! It is just my opinion that they skipped over a LOT in this opening round. I think they should have spent far more time showing the evolution of Bella and Edward, even if it made the movie an hour longer. It amazed me how they ran through that ending with James. The movie did not create near the incredible situation that the book did. I was left wanting way way more.

I can also admit that it would have been utterly impossible to create a movie that lived up to the world that Stephenie Meyer created in my head. Which is why I think she is an amazing author to say the least!!

3 comments:

Melibelle said...

I know! While I love it and have watched it ALOT already!!! It did skim over ALOT of stuff I wanted to see covered! But yes Edward was hot hot hooooottttttieeeee! I agree I didn't think when I saw him not as Edward I was like NO WAY! But in the movie he's totally Edward!!! so I agree but like you will FOR SURE see the rest in theater!!!! I'm hoping with a bigger budget it will be somehow better! I agree about Alice I saw her as a cutie little blond for some reason! The whole jump down off the branch scene fits her but not much else. I simply HATED the brown hair on her for some reason!!!

Oh and Dr. Cullen is TERRIBLE! Hated that casting job, I'm just sayin!

Anonymous said...

As much as I loved the books, I was not a huge fan of the movie. I don't even know if people who watch it that haven't read the book would even get what all the fuss is about, since it was so abbreviated. And I agree that they should have shown more of the evolution of Edward and Bella...that was the best part of the book! I liked the choices for Edward and Bella, and I liked Alice. Didn't mind Jasper or Emmett, but Rosalie did NOT match what I pictured.

Although I know I will for sure watch all subsequent movies...the next one should be interesting to see, now that they have a much bigger budget.

When New Moon comes out we should all go see it together...and then go out for drinks after so we can all share our critiques! :)

Melibelle said...

Dana that's a FAB idea! We are so all doing that!!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio