Monday, July 21, 2008

Colin's 12 Month Checkup

Today was Colin's official appointment at his pediatrician as a one year old little man! I was excited to find out the latest stats and discuss feeding plans.

Weight: 24lbs, 1 oz (50 - 75th percentile)

Length: 31 1/2 inches (90 - 95th percentile)

Colin slowed down slightly on the weight gain with all this moving around. Last visit he was in the 75-90th percentile for that. His length and head circumference continued to grow at the same pace; his head was in the 95 - 97th percentile again. The pedi noted that Colin is a big guy...very tall and very healthy. He said that his growth rate has remained perfectly even throughout his first year and he is really happy with his progress. Yay Colin!! I brought up Colin's pacifier and he was very laid back about it (which is why I like this pedi!). He told me that the paci is not really a worry for teeth problems until he is two, so to go at my own pace with taking it away. He said not to stress about it and it does not bother me that he likes it. He does not need me to put it back in his mouth for him at night, so as far as I am concerned, he can use it for awhile yet. I will probably start putting them away more during the day just to encourage his speech with me. My main goal on this visit was learning about weaning Colin from his formula bottles. The doctor thinks cold turkey is the method to try first and see what happens. Colin has tried milk in the last couple of weeks and likes it, so maybe it will be easy! I sure hope so!! I am going to give him a six ounce (instead of 8 oz) bottle of whole milk at the normal times and then the doctor thinks he will naturally begin eating more at meal times to compensate for the loss of "meal in a bottle". :-) I sure hope this works...I will be saving $30 a week in formula costs very soon!! I am going to finish up the can that we have open now and then see what happens. He also told me that babies are notoriously picky at this age, so I am prepared for that. So far Colin will eat anything that I give him, so I hope he will be the exception to the rule. I am dreaming, huh? :-)

Colin was all smiles when he saw the doctor (the pedi always says "he is the happiest baby I have ever seen!" during our visits) but soon after we had a major meltdown. Like an idiot, I scheduled the visit at 9:15, which is exactly Colin's nap time. I realized what I had done last week, but they could not get him back in with our specific doctor for another three weeks, so I stuck with the appointment. UGH!! Colin was crying almost the entire time we were waiting for the doctor, was briefly happy when he saw him, and then lost it completely when he started the check-up. He was out of control sobbing by the time the nurse came in with the shots, so you can imagine how that went. The poor little guy cried so hard that he could barely breathe! Once I finally got him back in the car, he was sound asleep before we got out of the parking lot. I brought him home and carried him inside to bed and he slept for two solid hours. He is up playing now and in great spirits again. Thank goodness!!

1 comments:

Melibelle said...

poor little man :(

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio