Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pools, Thank You Notes, and Other Messes

This week needs to just go ahead and end, I think. My next door neighbor is getting a pool. We have known about it, but the HOA has been holding him up all summer and I was starting to hope (pray) that the plans had fallen through. Not so much. They start digging today and that means that the fence we share with him is coming down. The big deal? Well, for starters we have my dog Enzo. Enzo has a doggie door and goes in and out of the house at will. At 9:00am, I have to close off the door since the fence will be down and go back to taking Enzo out on a leash to potty, circa apartment living in 2004. This is going to be a major pain while taking care of Colin by myself. Enzo is used to going outside all the time, so it will be a big mess. The second issue? Colin's all important-do-not-skip-ever nap schedule. Major construction at the house next door = awake Colin. I hope I am wrong. We shall see. We had another neighbor a couple of doors down put in a pool last summer and it blew my mind what a messy, loud, intense production it turned out to be. Do you all hear my violin music playing?

I tried again yesterday to pick up my thank you cards from Wolf Photo. As I knew would happen, they still did not print correctly. I knew that I had submitted them correctly the first time, but since I am a huge pacifist, I did not make waves and went home to try again on Tuesday. I am too nice. I know it. Most of the time, I don't mind my overly sweet nature. It generally does not get in my way and helps me to make friends with most anyone. HOWEVER, when it comes to standing up for myself in situations like that one, it is not good. I end up in the car cursing a blue streak to myself. I had finally had it yesterday when I got back to Wolf. I let the idiots have it when I got there. They (seriously!) tried to tell me that I could not have my money back. Have you ever seen a the mother of a toddler out in 100 degree heat who drove 20 miles out of her way two days in a row get told she can't have her money back? Yeah, it is just as bad as you are picturing. Needless to say, I got my money back. Miss Nice Girl moved out of town. DO NOT SHOP AT WOLF. I am STILL blown away.

On a positive note, Colin has slept in to 7:00am every morning this week! (don't jinx, don't jinx, don't jinx) He has started to walk 100% of the time and is a busy little man during the day. I am hoping that he is just expending a lot more energy and needs the extra sleep. Always. Every night. PLEASE! :-) It may go right back to 5:45am tomorrow, who knows. At least I got some great sleep this week!! I have been thinking a lot this week about ways to socialize Colin. At his party last weekend, he was very confused being around all the other babies. He grabbed at them the way he does with a toy or stuffed animal. He did not really understand they were human like him. It really opened my eyes to the need of socialization with other little ones. There is a Little Gym close by that I think I may have to break down and sign up for. I know they offer classes weekly and I think Colin would like it. There is also a Kindermusik class near us as well. Colin LOVES music, so that might be another good option. If any of my mommy readers have other ideas, let me know! We are members of a mommy and baby meetup group, but the meetups are all over the metroplex and generally too far to drive for us. The meetings that are close to me end up being lunches and things like that. I need actual playtime with other toddlers. Is Colin officially a toddler now? Good lord.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat the thank you notes. Hunter's are in my backseat, as they have been since early June, and still do not have addresses. All of my addresses are at home and we have not been. You might get it with your Christmas card!!

Melibelle said...

ok... well that's funny MElanie!!! And Chalna... u can not send me a thanks u note, I'm good! And actually do I deserve one???? Guess we won't be reprinting ur gift at Wolf HUH??? hehe sorry I couldn't resist! I hate them very much too!

Chalna said...

Ya'll are BOTH cracking me up! Mel, Christmas is just fine! I like a combo thank you/Christmas card! ;-) And Melissa, YES, you deserve one!! And NOT from Wolf! Thank you notes will be coming out if it KILLS ME! ;-)

Anonymous said...

We do Little Gym and it has been a good experience. A little on the pricey side though. I just found out about soccer tots from a friend and I think when our Little Gym semester ends we might try it...they have a program starting at 18 months! (And I checked- they have it in your city too).

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio