Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Good Times at Wal-Mart!

Colin and I went to Wal-Mart by ourselves today to get a little grocery shopping done. This trip was interesting to say the least! Let me start by saying that Colin is no longer in his infant car seat/carrier. It is officially retired now, so gone are the days of taking Colin in and out of places in his infant carrier. If I need groceries, I obviously cannot use the stroller because I need to fill a cart with stuff. I have previously posted about how this makes me nervous because Wal-Mart puts Colin to sleep like a freaking Ambien. So cut to today...Colin is riding like a big boy in the cart with his little dinosaur cart cover all in place and his favorite toys attached. I also brought a blanket in with us (thank God!) in case he got cold. I am about half way through shopping for a weeks worth of menus when Colin begins to get upset. He is rubbing his eyes, groaning, and falling around like a drunken sailor in his attempt to go to sleep. Lord help us. I can't just abandon the cart full of groceries to take Colin home (I suppose I could have, but good grief!) and I am looking around desperate for a genius solution. I quickly push him to the baby section (which, if you know Wal-Mart, is two miles away from where we were) and pick out the most amusing looking toy I can find, open it up, and give it to him like it is Christmas morning. All the while I am thinking that I am one of those mothers now...the ones who can't control their kids in stores and resort to buying presents to shut them up. This makes me laugh, so I know people are staring at me...baby sliding all over the cart crying while his mother opens toys that are not paid for while laughing to herself. GOOD TIMES, FOLKS! :-)

So, after handing Colin the toy, he is amused for around 2 minutes and then begins to roll around drunkenly again. I realize that drastic times call for drastic measures. I park the cart and pull Colin into my arms. I arrange the blanket I brought on top of the little cart cover to create a makeshift bed. I lay Colin down lengthwise in the front of the cart and then wrap the edges of the blanket around him like a cocoon. Due to the fact that my son is rather long...his calves and feet stick straight out one side. It looks absolutely insane, but Colin is quickly asleep in his little cave. YEA! Points for Genius Mom! I am thrilled with my cunning smarts and quickly jump back into finishing the shopping before he wakes up. Now for the part I did not think of....the STARES! Literally every person that I pass at this point stares at my son's little socked feet sticking out the side of the cart and give me looks that say, "Dear God...who let her have children?!" It was hysterical!! I was fast becoming the pariah of Wal-Mart. Finally one sweet woman who had two kids in her cart pulling each others hair said, "Oh, I remember those days!" and I almost hugged her. We disheveled mothers have to stick together, if you ask me! I gave her the return knowing smile and we finished up our trip. The little man actually slept clear through checkout and I had to wake him up to get in the car. So all is well that ends well. I have quickly discovered that being a mother means that you no longer mind looking like an idiot if it makes your child happy. :-)

Tonight's picture was taken at dinner. Colin had a cookie for dessert and was busy making a huge mess with it. About 30 seconds after this was taken, he handed the cookie to Enzo. Enzo is becoming increasingly more pleased with Colin now that he can hand him delicious treats. :-)

1 comments:

Melibelle said...

Yo I answered your meme!

and we really need to talk about the scrapbook hate... I'm so shocked!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio