Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Birthday


I am 31 years old today. Unbelievable, if you ask me. I have no clue where the last year went. Everything is a blur! The picture was one year ago today...what a happy time in my life. I was big and pregnant, but well past the sick part and prior to the super huge uncomfortable stage. That was when my every waking moment was wrapped up in Colin preparation. From the nursery to clothes to blankets and towels and diapers...it was my whole world. For the first time in my life, I was not worrying about sucking in and enjoying wearing all my fun maternity clothes. I was so excited to meet Colin that I found it hard to sleep at night thinking about it. I could finally feel him moving and playing inside me and I was getting to know him. It was spring and I was pregnant with my first child...what more could you ask for out of your 30th birthday?? I remember before I was pregnant and thinking about my 30th...I wanted a huge party...maybe even a trip to the beach...lots of friends and lots of margarita's. I had this picture in my mind of saying goodbye to my twenties in high style. But I can safely say that spending that birthday with just my family, eating cake, taking turns feeling Colin kick...it was the best birthday of my life.
Jeremy and Colin gave me a wonderful present today...the James Avery necklace that I have been dying for. It is a Mommy and Me heart pendant where the heart makes the abstract shape of a mommy and baby. I love it SO MUCH and I am so impressed with Jer and Mr. Colin for getting me exactly what I wanted! Colin was up for the better part of the night last night...another one of those random nights where he starts screaming and can't be consoled for some time. The funny thing is that I am pretty sure it is because Jer lowered his bed last night. I have been putting it off because I am well aware how finicky my baby is when it comes to sleep and I just knew it was going to be a problem. It sounds like such a small thing, but Colin is the ultimate creature of habit when it comes to bedtime and any variation throws him for a loop. It got so bad that I finally threw in the towel and we watched Teletubbies together on the couch at 1:00am. Is that a way to ring in your birthday or what?!? ;-) Needless to say, I am sitting here in my same pj pants that I always have on waiting for Colin's first nap so that I can get some sleep myself. This is certainly not a glamorous birthday by any stretch of the imagination, but I know that one day I will look back on this day and be melancholy about how old Colin has gotten and how I miss the days of sitting in my pj's with my little baby. So Future Chalna, if you are reading this, know that you were really REALLY tired on your 31st birthday and that Colin is the most precious 9 month old in the whole world. You would give just about anything for a full night of uninterrupted sleep, but every single time Colin smiles at you, you know you can hang in there another night. (I am well aware that the fact that I am talking to my future self means I need to go to bed right now.) :-)

2 comments:

Melibelle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my Chalna!!!! Glad you got a good present! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post!

I wanted to say goodbye to my 20s in high style too. Instead I had twins just home from the NICU and experiencing the most insane levels of sleep deprivation.

This year wasn't much better with my Husband of the Year completely forgetting it. Ugh. So smile...you got a thoughtful gift! :)

Happy Birthday!

P.S. I am SO itching to go up to Dallas soon. We MUST MUST MUST get together. I think I might explode if I don't see Colin soon.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio