Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Today was randomly very cool in North Texas...it never really got too far out of the 50's. Tomorrow goes back to sunny and 80, so the cold front was pretty short lived. Jer's other set of parents who live locally came over to see Colin and took us all out to lunch for my birthday, which is rolling up on Tuesday. Jer's family is always amazing to me on my birthday...the entire family sends me cards and well wishes...even his grandparents. Since I come from such a tiny family, I just love how much they all make me feel like one of them. A couple of days ago I got a card from Jer's grandfather and one yesterday from his grandmother...I just love them! We went to one of our favorite little Italian places today and Colin managed not to cry for the most part, which was good. His mood was slightly better today than it was yesterday, but he is still obviously in pain and not his normal happy self. Again today he napped twice for only about 40 minutes each time. I really hope that this stage passes quickly because I know the rough afternoons are partly because he is exhausted and needs more sleep. Damn teeth! Who knew?! :-)

I had a moment today in the restaurant that was...interesting. Anyone who knows me is aware that I am utterly non-confrontational, but when it comes to Colin, I can see myself changing. I kept my mouth shut today, but it was the first time in a long time that I thought about losing my cool. We had a teenage boy as our waiter today, complete with bad posture and expressionless eyes. (note to self...remind Colin to smile when he is an angst ridden 16 year old!) Anyway, Jer comments almost immediately after we got there about how funny it is to be waited on by people who don't have kids. Everything he sat down on the table had to be moved out of Colin's reach quickly. This happens all the time when we eat out...I don't even think about it anymore. I just absently move everything on the table out of baby reach. Well, when the waiter brought our food out, he sat my Pasta Sampler in front of me and in reach of Colin. This is a dish that is baked in an oven and brought out in the oven hot dish, mind you. It was like slow motion...I was looking at Jer when he sat down my food...I heard him telling me to be careful as the plate was hot, and when I turned my head to look, Colin had his sweet little fingers wrapping themselves around the rim of the oven dish. DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!! It was like time stood still...my heart jumped into my throat and I grabbed his hand as fast as I could, but he had already touched it. He started screaming, of course, and I grabbed him out of his high chair and took him outside. Amid heart palpitations, I checked his fingers and they were fine. He must have scared himself quickly enough that no damage was done. I kissed him all over his face and he recovered quickly. The idiot teenage waiter never blinked over it or even said anything about it. I wanted to kill him. Swiftly. But I held my tongue...I know he did not mean for it to happen and he put the plate in front of me, not Colin exactly. But I really wish that waiters would be more observant for heavens sake!!!!!!!! I waited tables for 5 years, and I can tell you that I NEVER put a dish out of the oven anywhere near a child's grasp. I really think that kids today leave a lot to be desired...that boy today was not paying any attention to what he was doing! And now I sound like my mother....again. :-)

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio